I am an International Student. Can I work Full Time During Christmas Holidays?

Immigrate NowInternational student

Work Permit Canada

This is a question we often get asked by students over consultations. Yes, if you are an international student studying a post-secondary program, you may work full time if

  • the winter break has been classified as a “scheduled break” by your institution (which is often true for most programs and institutions)
  • You have been enrolled in full-time studies in your terms before and after the winter break (that is fall 2021, winter 2022)

Be sure to check with your academic calendar issued for your program or talk to the academic advisers at your institution as to what are the start and end dates of the “scheduled break” to know the duration when you can work full time.

Talk to one of our consultants if you would like clarity on this or need help with switching programs, permit extension applications, questions regarding work authorization, potential PR eligibility, etc.